Thursday, March 21, 2013

New Facebook Cover Photo Rules


Facebook just recently their policy for cover photos and since January 15th the new guidelines state that your images must have no more than 20% text (including your logo text). Here’s an excerpt from their official
guidelines:

At first this had me totally bummed out because I finally had a cover photo in place that I really liked and got a lot of positive feedback on. (See below)

So then I just felt like being cheeky and using this:

When got over stomping my feet and I decided to be more constructive and figure out how to roll with it. In order to get creative with a 20% text cover graphic it would be nice to know how do you actually measure that? So let’s do the math… (I know you want to!).

Full cover graphic size is 851 pixels high x 315 wide= 26,8065 square pixels


And 20% of 26,8065 is 53,316 pixels which means that as long as the block that holds my text is less than 53,316 square pixels it will be fine. So let’s take a look at this block of text on my old graphic:

The above text block is 383 pixels wide x 148 pixels high which makes it 56,684 square pixels – just a little bit over what Facebook allows! So hey, this is totally doable and won’t actually mess up my graphics too much. If I remove the bottom line of text and make a tweak to the text in the bubble I will be good to go. Phew! I almost freaked out over nothing

Here’s my new & improved graphic:

So how did your cover photo fare under the new guidelines? Could you keep it or did you redesign? Or are you go
ing to pretend you didn’t know and hope they don’t catch you?  Let me know in the comment section below!





No comments:

Post a Comment